How many times can you wash your hands in a single day? How much hand sanitizer can you squirt in 24 hours? These are questions you never thought you would have to ask, but strange times calls for strange thoughts. Even if you are sitting 6 feet away from your loved ones, we are sure you still haven’t taken out your rings!
Here are few harms that these disinfectants are causing your loved gem:
– Serious cleansers can cause precious stones to become dingy and cloudy- The alcohol in the sanitizer can dry out the gems and lead to surface damage or cracking.
– Excessive exposure to hand sanitizer and cleaning agents can make finish on white gold wear faster- You might not see the changes immediately, but this will definitely have long term effects.
– Extensive hand sanitizer use can also loosen prongs that hold diamonds in place- The prongs that hold your gems in place can ease out because of the alcohol content in the hand sanitizer and you might end up losing your loved diamond.
Health and hygiene are always more important than any piece of jewellery so how to take care of both your precious at the same time!
– Avoid rubbing hand sanitizer or harsh cleaning products directly onto your ring- Put your rings aside when using hand sanitizer, wait till the sanitizer on your hand completely dry away before putting them back on
– Try wearing gloves- Try wearing gloves as much as possible, specially when doing any household chores, this will reduce the need of hand sanitizers and soaps.
– The safest way to clean your rings at home is with warm water and a mild dish soap- Dip your rings with lukewarm water and use any mild soap to give it a quick wash, at least once a week, to keep your jewel hearty and healthy!
If you are unsure of how to take care of your precious jewel, it is sometimes the best option to follow the age old thought of. “When in doubt, it is always better to avoid!” Take your rings off before washing your hands, or until the situation in your region is under control!